In order to provide you with practical information about the GDPR on Delcampe, this article covers the following topics:
- What is the GDPR?
- What is the purpose of the GDPR?
- What does it mean for you?
- What is personal data?
- What are your rights with respect to the processing of your personal data and how can you exercise them?
- How long does Delcampe keep your personal data?
- What personal data does Delcampe share with third parties?
- How long does it take to process your request?
- Who can you contact if you have questions?
1. What is the GDPR??
GDPR is the acronym for the General Data Protection Regulation.
This is a new European regulation which is intended to strengthen and standardize the protection of personal data for all private individuals within the European Union.
All companies and organizations have been required to comply with the GDPR since 25 May 2018. The reference document is available here.
2. What is the purpose of the GDPR?
The purpose of the GDPR is to strengthen and standardize the rights of private individuals with respect to data protection within the European Union.
Its first objective is to increase the security of personal data processed by private and public organizations. However, the regulation also requires more transparency about the way in which data are processed and it is also intended to facilitate the exercise of other rights such as the right of access and the right of erasure.
3. What does it mean for you?
As a Delcampe member, your data are better protected thanks to the GDPR. You also have more control over the way in which we use your personal data: you can ask to see them at any time, to change them or to delete them.
4. What is personal data?
The GDPR defines personal data as any information about an identified or identifiable natural person.
At Delcampe these data can include your last name, first name, nickname, title, mailing address, email, date of birth, languages spoken, buying and selling histories, profile photo, IP address, bank account number, etc.
Note: Some data do not identify you on their own and may or may not be considered personal data depending on the context. We collect this type of data during anonymous surveys (e.g. aspects of collecting that are of interest to you).
5. What are your rights with respect to the processing of your personal data and how can you exercise them?
The quickest way to exercise one of your privacy rights is to send your request to Customer Service via the contact form.
Note: Depending on the type of information you have provided us with, we may ask you to send us additional information to confirm your identity or to clarify your request. This ensures that a third party cannot request that your data be erased in your name.
Tip: Also clearly state the reason(s) for your request(s)!
A. Right to information
You are entitled to receive information about your personal data that we process, the reasons we process them and about your rights in this respect.
How can you exercise your right to information ?
- Read this article carefully. It provides an explanation on the topic.
- Review point 14, “Privacy” in our General Terms and Conditions of Use
- If you have any questions, contact Customer Service via the contact form.
B. Right of access
You can obtain a summary of your personal data and an explanation of how it is used at any time. In order to ensure everyone’s privacy, we can only provide you with access to your own personal data. You can find more information in the "Privacy” section, points 14.2 to 14.5 of our General Terms and Conditions of Use.
How to exercise your right of access?
- If you have a Delcampe account, you can consult your data in your profile. In this case, you can also correct them yourself if you need to.
- If you want to obtain a copy of your personal data, contact us via our contact form, indicating the data which you want to access together with a proof of identity (both sides of your ID card, etc.)
- If you have questions, don’t hesitate to let us know via our contact form.
C. Right to rectification
The right to rectification enables you to change or correct inaccurate personal information (e.g. an incorrect date of birth, a change of address, a change in sales terms and conditions) or to complete data (e.g. addition of a payment method).
How to exercise your right of rectification?
- If you have a Delcampe account, you can change your data yourself in your profile.
- If you can't change your data yourself, contact Customer Service via our contact form.
D. Right of erasure
This right is also called the “right to be forgotten”. It enables you to request the erasure of all of your personal data (for example, the removal of your Delcampe account and of all related data) or of certain data (for example removal of your profile photo).
Note: however, in certain cases, we cannot erase all of the data requested. This is the case when we are required to retain data to comply with a legal obligation or if the data are needed to provide you with the services you have requested.
How to submit a request to Delcampe to remove all of your data?
- Contact us via our contact form
- Confirm which data you want erased
What does Delcampe do when you request removal of all of your personal data ?
In the event that you would like all of your personal data to be erased, your Delcampe account will be permanently closed and we will erase all of the data we are allowed to. The data we can’t delete immediately will be retained in our primary database by data type or in an archive with restricted access until expiration of the required retention period.
There are several options depending on your profile :
- If you haven’t carried out any transactions on our website, all of your data will be erased from our databases within the month.
- If you have carried out transactions on our website, we are legally required to retain certain data. This is notably the case for invoices and other proofs of purchase, which we have to keep until the legal retention period expires. In order to protect the interests of buyers and sellers with whom you have carried out transactions, we won’t immediately erase any data related to potential disputes and we won’t archive any data related to recent transactions.
- If you have carried out transactions on our website, but none are recent, your account will be permanently closed and we will delete the data we can within a month. The other data will be erased as soon as possible.
- If you have carried out transactions recently, your account will be closed within the month, but we will not delete or archive your personal data so that we can recontact should there be any problems with a recent transaction. Your account will then be removed according to the standard procedure.
- Note also that to ensure better security for our website, we may retain the identification data of members who have breached the terms and conditions of use of the website. In this case, the accounts of the people in question will be deleted, but their contact information will be kept in a blacklist.
E. Right of opposition
You can also oppose specific types of processing of your data for reasons related to your specific situation.
This right does not apply to all types of processing. For example, you can’t oppose processing which fulfills a legal obligation by which we are bound (e.g. the retention of transaction data for tax reasons) or when authorization for this type of processing was expressly granted in the past.
How can you exercise your right of opposition?
Contact us via our contact form
- State which data processing you want to oppose
- Provide the reason related to your specific situation why you are opposed to the processing.
F. The right to restrict processing
This right enables you to ask that the use of your data be frozen for a certain period of time. In this case, we can no longer use them, but must retain them.
This can be useful if you need us to keep your data to exercise your rights in court.
This right can also be exercised for the time it takes either for a decision to be taken or verification completed when you oppose specific processing or you want to contest the accuracy of certain data,
How to exercise your right to restrict processing?
- Contact us via our contact form
- State the personal data for which you would like to restrict processing
- State why you want to restrict processing.
G. Right to withdraw consent
If you have given your consent for specific data processing, you can withdraw it at any time.
How to exercise your right to withdraw consent ?
- If you no longer want to receive certain types of email (newsletters, buy and sell emails, Community emails, etc.), connect to your Delcampe account and adjust your selection in My email parameters
- For all other requests to withdraw consent (e.g. you want us to delete the data we’ve collected during a non-anonymous survey) contact us via our contact form stating the processing for which you would like to remove your consent.
6. How long are your personal data kept by Delcampe?
Your personal data are kept for the periods required by law.
With respect to data for which there are no retention periods required by law, we will only keep them for the time absolutely necessary to ensure that our services operate properly.
7. What personal data does Delcampe share with third parties?
Your data may be sent to third parties under certain conditions. In this case, we will always ensure maximum protection of your privacy. Most of the third parties are Delcampe subcontractors or subcontractors who work with Delcampe to execute certain tasks, for example, for postal verification of your account or of your Delcampe Pay account.
These third parties, which process data for Delcampe, also guarantee the privacy of our members’ data.
We don't sell or transmit your personal data to third parties unless you have given us your explicit authorization or if we are required to do so by law.
Your data may be transmitted without your prior approval as part of a judicial inquiry or a request from the police.
8. How long does it take to process your request?
If your identity has been verified and we can grant your request, it will be processed as soon as possible and, at the latest within a month. This time-frame can be extended by two months due to the complexity or number of requests received. In this case, we will inform you of the extension and of the reasons for it as soon as possible.
If there isn’t enough information to accurately process your request or if we can’t respond to it favorably, we will recontact you to collect the additional information needed or explain the reasons why.
In any event, we will provide an answer to each request within one month, at the latest.
9. Who can you contact if you have a question?
If you still have questions about the processing of your personal data or about your rights, contact our Customer Service via the contact form.
You can also contact the Delcampe Data Protection Officer by sending a message to email address firstname.lastname@example.org.