This article covers the following subjects:
- Creating a type file for the Lister
- How to find the Delcampe category number
- How to import a file
- How to export a file
Creating a type file for the Lister
You can encode your items for sale in a file (CSV, Excel or xml) using a spreadsheet such as Calc in OpenOffice (for .csv files) or Excel (for .xls or .xlsx files) in order to bulk import them into the Lister.
To make things easier, we recommend to enter your data in an Excel file (.xls ou .xlsx).
The data you input into this file is mostly the same as the data you input into the normal selling form.
To create this file, download and fill in our Excel type file (.xls) or our CSV type file (.csv):
Don't forget to delete the first two lines.
- Open the document into a spreadsheet (Excel or OpenOffice Calc)
- For a CSV file, select ‘,’ (comma) as a separator and “” (quotation marks) as a text separator. For an Excel file, you dont have to select anything.
- The first cell (A1) in the document must contain the following text: DELCAMPE LISTER CSV FILE VERSION 4.0 (if it is a .csv file) or DELCAMPE LISTER XLS FILE VERSION 4.0 (if it is a .xls or a .xlsx file).
- The cells in the second line contain column numbers.
- Fill in the different fields (cells) following the instructions given in this file explaining the structure:
- Once your file is complete, save it keeping the ‘current format’.
- The file is now ready to be imported into the Lister.
How to find the Delcampe category number
The item categories in your Lister must correspond to the ones you can find on the Delcampe site where your items will be sold.
Why it is useful to know the category number
Each category is given a number. This number will be useful when working on your Excel and CSV files. You can type directly into the appropriate column, which saves a lot of time.
How to find the category number
To find the category number, click here. This page details all the Delcampe categories and sub-categories.
Some categories may not have any sub-categories. In this case, the number can be found on the right hand side.
Hint: categories without sub-categories are in black, which means you can spot them in the tree view.
When a category is divided into sub-categories, it is blue, does not have a number next to it and you can click on it.
- For example, if you were selling postcards of the little city of Montgomery, in the United States. In “Postcards”, click on “America”:
- Then click on “United States”:
- At this stage, some will be divided into further categories, e.g. for the United States (the different States) For selling postcards of Montgomery click “Alabama”:
- These sub-categories are divided furthermore into cities, “Montgomery” appears with its corresponding number on the right:
Its identifier is “308”. You now know the number for postcards of Montgomery.
Now you just need to do the same thing each time you need to find a category number.
Hint: Large cities may be divided into sub-categories to improve searchability.
How to import a file
The Lister allows you to import a file containing information on items you wish to sell on the site. This means you can create your items via the Lister. Importing allows you to bulk create and edit your items.
Note: this file must contain certain types of information for the import to work properly. For more details, see “Creating a file type for the Lister” within this article.
To import your file:
- Tick the file type you want to import (CSV, Microsoft Excel or XML).
- Click “Choose” to select a file within your personal folders on your computer.
Hint: Create a unique folder and group together your Lister files to be imported.
- Select the Lister folder or sub-folder to which you want to add your items by clicking on it once.
- Click "OK".
Your items for sale are added to the previously selected folder in the Lister.
How to export a file
The Lister allows you to export data relating to your items from your computer in the form of a file. This allows you to keep track of your items for sale. It is possible to import this file if necessary.
- Select the Lister folder containing the data you want to export in the list on the left of your screen by clicking on it once.
- Click the file type you want to create (CSV, Microsoft Excel or XML)
- Click on “Choose” to select an export folder within your personal folders on your computer.
Hint: Create a unique folder to group together your exported Lister files.
- Click "OK".
- When the export is complete, click OK.
The file has been created in the folder which was previously selected on your computer.